Thursday, September 18, 2014

Turtle Power

It started innocently enough. Matthew and I were up early on a Saturday morning, Joe was out running errands, and I was desperately needing a break from endless episodes of Jake and the Neverland Pirates. So, I fired up YouTube in search of cartoons from the eighties that Joe and I grew up watching. 


He was not impressed with the awesomeness of The Muppet Babies, showed a fleeting interest in A Pup Named Scooby Doo, and he flat out dissed The Smurfs.  Then I remembered a gem that my younger brother John was obsessed with when he was around Matthew's age....The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.



As soon as the theme song started, Matthew was enraptured. Three episodes in, I forgot how much I hated this show when I was younger and started getting into the Turtle Power. Joe came home and got hooked too. It was fun seeing Matthew so into something, when historically, he could not care less about anything we buy or show him.



The next day we went to Nonna and Nonno G's house for Sunday dinner. While we were there they remembered that some of Joe's old Ninja Turtle toys were still in the attic, so they gave them to Matthew. It was love at first hug.







It was all downhill from there. His outfits took on a new theme.






If he was going to have the big Ninja Turtles, of course he needed Donatello and Michelangelo to play with. They would help his OT skills we convinced ourselves. 





Then I found the two he was missing at Target. It was only right that he have Leonardo and Raphael to complete the whole Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle Team. 





We even took him to see another example of Michael Bay stealing our childhood by seeing the new Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle movie. He laughed and squealed when the turtles came on the screen.

   
   



And I may have gone a teeny bit overboard contributing to his obsession.





Best of all is seeing this gorgeous, happy smile showing us how much he loves all of it. Seeing him into something, anything, is thrilling. For a kid with no words, the smile really says it all for him.



What are your kiddos into? Any obsessions?


No comments:

Post a Comment